Medical waste is the garbage which generates as by-products from hospitals, doctors’ clinics, dentists’ practices, veterinary centers, and medical research laboratories. It consists of syringes, needles, human tissues, organs, animal carcasses, bandages, swaps, disinfectants, doctors’ gloves, patients’ gowns, and other infectious materials. The administrators who run these healthcare facilities normally classify medical waste into four distinct categories. These are general, infectious, biohazardous, and radioactive. It is imperative for them to ensure the proper and immediate disposal of this waste from the healthcare centers. This is because medical waste has the potential to spread infectious diseases among humans, contaminate water sources and pollute the environment.
Why is proper medical waste disposal important?
People who come in contact with medical waste, which the administrative authorities fail to get rid of immediately fall ill. The infectious toxins, microorganisms, radiation emissions, and hazardous compounds present in this garbage deteriorate their immune system within a short time. This makes them more susceptible to various kinds of life-threatening diseases in comparison to other individuals. These include hepatitis, various forms of cancers, human immunodeficiency virus infection, Ebola, syphilis, and malaria. Even the accumulation of medical waste in various landfills causes extensive environmental degradation. The toxic substances emitted from garbage pollute the atmosphere, and its solid particles contaminate groundwater sources.
Why hire medical waste disposal management companies?
Administrative officials in hospitals and other healthcare centers face an uphill task to ensure proper medical waste disposal. Under stringent regulations that various governmental agencies impose, they have to effectively discard the waste accumulated in their healthcare centers. These organizations are the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and Centre for Disease Control (CDC). According to the relevant guidelines, the administrators are to:
- Install the right waste containers in specific areas throughout the medical centers,
- Incinerate all forms of pathological waste such as organs, body parts, and recognizable tissues,
- Apply specific chemical substances to deactivate and decontaminate infectious liquid waste,
- Microwave moist hazardous and non-hazardous solid waste in order to decontaminate it,
- Use enzymes to neutralize hazardous infectious organisms in certain biomedical waste, and
- Steam sterilizes biohazardous non-infectious garbage like syringes and sharp needles.
Then only they can send the various form of medical waste to relevant landfills. However, healthcare administrators often cannot conduct this important task in-house because of budgetary constraints. This is why they opt to hire third-party service providers who specialize in medical waste disposal management.
The benefits of hiring reliable medical waste disposal management companies for healthcare administrators are as follows:
- Saves time in ensuring the immediate removal of medical waste from the vicinity of healthcare centers,
- Results in considerable savings in logistics and waste management handling costs, and
- Ensures compliance with federal and state statutory guidelines for proper medical waste disposal.
Hiring the services of reliable medical waste disposal management companies can be a boon for the administrators of healthcare centers. However, the corporate service providers they choose to work with should have a good market reputation. Moreover, the specialists of these companies should be well-versed in the latest techniques of effectively disposing of various forms of medical waste safely without endangering the environment and lives of people.